The Slag Dump
Cobar's earliest smelters were located in the area of Lewis Street. In the early 1870's, Lewis Street used to be the main road to Wrightville, an early "suburb" on the southern side of Cobar township. Lewis Street ran along the west side of the Open-cut and around the slag dump, behind the Shire depot to near where the present Rugby Union Oval is located. The slag dump is the end product of some fifty years of copper smelting at the Great Cobar Copper Mine. Samples taken from the slag dump contain about 2% copper but because of the difficult process of extraction, the slag is crushed and used as road base on Shire roads. Please contact the Cobar Heritage Centre for more information on (02) 6836 2448.